Are you an animal lover who is looking to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals? Consider joining the team at Tails Humane Society!
Lead Vet Tech
Part-time position (approx 10 hours/week, every other Mon, every other Wed)
The Lead Vet Tech performs duties which includes preparation of animals for surgery in a high volume spay/neuter clinic, assisting veterinarian with procedures and surgery and maintaining the clinic in a clean and orderly manner.
- Assist the veterinarian by setting up procedures, helping maintain the flow of patients, adhering to standards that keep animals safe, and keeping treatment areas and labs clean and organized
- Ability to efficiently pre-medicate and induce patients, intubate animals and prepare all patients for surgery
- Administer medications and vaccinations, and help maintain clinical records in shelter database
- Assist in the provision of medical and surgical care of animals in the shelter
- Assist with cleaning clinic and surgical pack preparation as assigned
- Ability to handle 30-50 dogs and cats per day
- Position is based mostly within the medical department but will also include assisting in care of shelter animals
- Work well independently and also as part of a team to perform responsibilities listed
- Must be able to recognize or learn to recognize characteristics of animal behavior (for example: be able to identify aggressive or fearful behavior)
- Must be able to use appropriate safety equipment for fractious or feral animals (will train)
- Knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner
- Ability to take inventory and prepare clinic supply order on a weekly basis
- Ability to assist with euthanasia
- CVT status or equivalent experience
- One year experience as a veterinary technician in a veterinary clinic environment. Shelter clinic experience is a plus.
- Experience with animal handling and restraint, animal health, behavior assessments
- Experience with giving intravenous injections and intubating animals for surgery
- Some experience in anesthesia and surgery is required and a willingness to learn the abilities not yet experienced
- Must be self-motivated, willing to challenge physical and mental abilities
- Should be able to identify own limitations
- A strong commitment to the welfare and proper treatment of animals is required
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor
- Comfortable within a team environment
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment, handle fluctuating priorities and multiple projects
- Ability to work occasionally on evenings and weekends
Most of the scheduled days are spent in a high-volume surgery environment. Work is performed in a high noise area. Exposure to industrial cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, zoonotic diseases (can be passed from animal to human), bites and scratches. Safety procedures must be adhered to at all times.
The veterinary technician is a key member of the surgical team; the responsibilities described above are necessary to perform the duties of this position but should not be construed as a complete description of all the requirements that may be inherent in the position.
To apply, send your resume to Michelle Groeper at email@example.com.