Current Career Opportunities at Tails Humane Society
Are you an animal lover that is looking to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals? Why not consider joining the team at Tails Humane Society! We are currently hiring for the following positions and or shifts:
Animal Care Technicians for Tuesday 4-7pm, Thursday 4:30-7:30pm, Friday 6-10am and Saturday 3-6pm.
Qualified applicants can email their resume to Lauren L. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Care Technician
Reports to: Animal Care Supervisor, Animal Care Manager and Director of Operations
The Animal Care Technician is responsible for assisting in the cost effective, sanitary and humane operation of the shelter; the health and welfare of all animals in the care of Tails Humane Society; working with potential adopters in the selection process of a suitable animal.
The responsibilities described herein reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the position, however, should not be construed as a complete description of all the requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Responsible for the humane care and treatment of all animals
- Provides care for the animals by cleaning their cage or kennel in a thorough and sanitary manner to prevent the spread of any infectious viruses
- Provides care for the shelter’s animals by feeding each animal in accordance with their dietary requirements and posted feeding procedures
- Develops a general knowledge of animals’ behavior and temperaments
- Develops a general knowledge of the shelter animals’ personality traits
- Stocks needed supplies in respective areas, food, cleaning supplies and medical items
- Maintains the laundry requirements for respective areas. Ensures that all animals’ articles, bedding are washed and disinfected daily
- Monitors all animals for signs of disease and reports problems to appropriate personnel
- Maintains records to ensure accuracy, timeliness and completeness
- Assists in maintaining sufficient inventory of animal care supplies
- Assist in the medication and medical treatment of animals as prescribed by the Medical Staff
- Responsible for the general appearance of the shelter. This includes, but is not limited to, the outside grounds, front office, bathrooms, windows, etc.
- Performs post adoption examination, which includes basic examination, microchip confirmation and ensuring all paperwork is completed properly
- Works collaboratively with staff to determine if animals are appropriate for adoption
- Consistently strives to keep abreast of the field and animal welfare issues, techniques, procedures and equipment
- Maintains a high level of communication with all Tails staff and Volunteers
- Assists in the training of animal care volunteers
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Ability to perform physical work involving bending, scrubbing, mopping, walking, reaching, squatting, lifting up to 75 pounds with reasonable accommodation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of animal handling and communication preferred
- Experience working in a kennel environment preferred
Work performed in a high noise level area. Exposure to industrial cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, zoonotic (human to animal) diseases, bites and scratches. Weekend shifts required. Safety procedures must be adhered to at all times.